Have you ever heard of a capsule wardrobe? Or perhaps Project 333? The idea of a minimal wardrobe made up of clothing pieces that all work together in different combinations has really intrigued me this past year. Over that time, I’ve slowly been removing and donating items that I don’t feel fabulous wearing. The result so far has been less time and stress getting dressed each morning. But now I’m ready to take it to the next level.
For the month of January, I’ve pared down my wardrobe to 33 items. Here’s the list:
- 12 Tops/tanks
- 8 Sweaters/vests/cardigans
- 4 Jackets/blazers
- 3 Pants/jeans
- 1 Skirt
- 5 pairs of boots/sneakers
This does not include work-out clothes, pajamas, purses, accessories, or jewelry. The color palate is very neutral; mostly black and grey.
Typically, January weather in LA is around 60-70 degrees – pretty damn great! We are anticipating more rain than usual this winter, so I’m a bit concerned that three of my five shoes are suede (I hope that waterproofing spray works).
I few things I hope to gain from my experiment:
- Spend less time choosing what to wear to work each morning.
- Challenge myself to be more creative with my clothing combinations and use of accessories.
- I’m curious to see if anyone even notices that I’m wearing the same clothes more frequently.
- Save money by being more thoughtful and intentional about the clothes I purchase.
- Just have some fun embracing minimalism!
I’ll get started on January 1st and plan to end on the 31st. I am willing to extend it for a longer period of time once I try it out the first few weeks. I will update you all on my progress!